Sunday, May 31, 2009

Picture Update 1

I am sure it's hard to understand some of the things I've talked about without seeing them in person. Hopefully, these pictures will help :) This is also my last short update before heading to the village tomorrow.

We went out in Kumba last night and I met and talked with my first fellow white man. His name is Austin and he is working for a local human rights agency. He is a grad student at Pitt majoring in international development. His focus this summer is waste management in villages and education of village councils on conflict resolution. I find it funny that I'm thousands of miles away from home but the bars here play almost the same music. When I said this, Julius asked the waitress to play some P Square for me. P Square is a Rap/R&B duo from Nigeria. They are insanely popular here in Africa. I'm very suprised their music hasn't made it to the US yet.

This morning we woke up and went to mass at St. Anthony's. It was Pentacost Sunday, so the place was packed (and extremely hot/sweaty). Since I'm not Catholic, I just played a game of follow the leader to understand when to stand, sit, kneel, and pray. In addition to not knowing the motions, the mass was completely in Pidgin. So needless to say, I probably didn't get much from the experience spiritually. Brian, a lay Marianist noted some small differences between this mass and ones in the US. Today's mass was much much much longer. It lasted almost 2 and a half hours. In addition, it seemed much livelier than masses I've been to in the US. Singing and dancing are huge parts of culture and religion over here.






The tanks are almost completed.













Mr. Elias's house in Kumba (where we are staying when in town).






Dancers in the village.











Playing cheque with the other kids in Elias's house.







Eating dinner in Boa Bakundu.
















One of many random Obama signs/banners and posters.


















An okada on his motorcycle.







The market before it got busy.







Mark, Clinton, Brandon, and I after church.


The village chief and all the honored guests.

4 comments:

  1. sweet pics!!! I'm really glad you put a picture of the compound because Shannon and I were very curious of what it was like. Also we just missed each other on gchat!!! I was probably pulling out of my driveway when you imed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, I am going to try to keep on on your work. Best of luck. K man

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks K man. Many people say I remind them of you when you were here. And everyone always asks Mark how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you guys are having a great Cameroonian time. I am thinking about you all the time just wishing I could be there too. Good luck! Keep up the blog, its great!

    ReplyDelete